Sunday, April 26, 2015

Bitsbox Review April 2015

Yesterday brought us our very first Bitsbox.  I bought a 3-month subscription off of Kickstarter.  Bitsbox provides monthly coding projects for kids.  Did you know computer programming is one of the fastest growing careers?  I think this subscription service will not only be fun for kids, but extremely beneficial for them in the long run.
 Here are the subscription plans: Month-to-month box ~ $40+s/h
 Every 3 months ~ $105+s/h
1 year ~ $360+s/h
Since this is primarily a web-based program, subscribers can also buy a PDF download of the monthly coding activities for only $20.  I think this is a great option!


 The first box brings kids some fun stickers and Tattly tattoos.  Ryker also got a pack of Bitsbox Trading Cards.  Inside are 10 cards with different quick apps to build.  


 Bitsbox Code Book Volume 15.04 ~ This issue is called Marvelous Mischief and features 22 apps to code.  The book is very well designed and features eye-catching illustrations that coordinate with each coding adventure.  Kids create the apps in their account at www.bitsbox.com.  Each app is numbered and kids get a QR code for each app they build.  This allows them to run the apps on a phone or tablet.  I love that the company also has a part of the website dedicated to explaining the codes to parents.  They even have a Coding Primer to help adults who have never coded before.


 Slinky ~ This was a fun addition to the box.  My son was tickled to death with this.  I can't believe this is what I played with as a kid and he plays with a computer.  Times have definitely changed!  I like how this matches the Slinky Sculptor app in the book.


We've only had time to look at the "Hello World" apptivity, but so far this looks like an awesome subscription for kids.  Ryker got 22 apps, plus 10 more from the trading cards.  This should keep him busy for the month!  

As a technology resource teacher, I'm really excited to get my hands on this subscription.  I'd love to incorporate this in an after school program or technology club.  I hope this company has great success and continues to come up with fun apps.

1 comment: