Monday, September 22, 2014

Quarterly Co. Melissa Joulwan Box Review September 2014 #EAT01

I'm a paleo impostor!  I know very little about the paleo diet, but thought that Melissa Joulwan's Quarterly Co. box would be the perfect introduction.  #EAT01 contained 5 food items and a really nice kitchen tool.  

#EAT01
 Has the infographic replaced the traditional Quarterly curator letter?  I love this concept!  The front briefly explains each item in the box.


#EAT01
 On the back of the insert is a recipe for Snuggle Soup.  Two items in the box are ingredients for this dish.  There is also a modification suggestion to the recipe, which gives you a different soup called Cold War Spy Soup.  


#EAT01
Primal Pacs ~ This is a delicious snack!  I love beef jerky, fruit, and nuts.  Primal Paks are for the paleo eaters who are on the go.  This company is based in Seattle, WA and does not add any artificial ingredients and preservatives in their products.  The beef is raised without hormones or steroids and is organic grass fed.  I've eaten the whole 'pac' since I started typing!


Pacific Bone Broth
 Pacific Bone Broth ~ This is my first bone broth and I got turkey with rosemary, sage, and thyme.  Sounds good, but more importantly, I've learned that this little liquid has several health benefits.  It boosts your immunity, promotes healthy digestion, reduces joint pain and inflammation, promotes strong bones, and more.  I'm having a hard time finding this on Amazon and Pacific Foods.  Any suggestions for where to buy?


Nikki's Coconut Butter
 Nikki's Coconut Butter ~ ($12.99) This is a spread made from the meat of the coconut, similar to the peanut butter making process.  I got the macadamia nut cookie flavor.  The texture is different, but after about 30 seconds in the microwave, it's much softer and easier to spread.  It's recommended to eat with fruit, in smoothies, or simply by the spoonful.


Wild Planet White Anchovies
 Wild Planet White Anchovies ~ I will lovingly give this to my husband!  I am not an anchovy/sardine kinda girl.  I do appreciate the recipe Melissa included with this item.  Mike may have to try it out.  The packaging says they have a very mild flavor, which is promising, but I can't get past the look of them!  


Pure Indian Foods Ghee
Pure Indian Foods Ghee ~ ($11.95)  This grass-fed organic ghee is a healthy alternative to butter.  The only ingredient is non-homogenized milk - no added salt, preservatives, trans fats, dyes, or anything else.  I'm lactose intolerant and am interested in seeing whether or not this item bothers me.  According to various websites, most lactose intolerant people can eat this without complications.  Suggestions for use include topping popcorn, over hot rice, on baked potatoes, on toast, as a moisturizer, and as a lip balm.  Since it doesn't need to be refrigerated, ghee is ideal for college students and for emergency preparedness food storage.


Knork Paring Knife
Knork Paring Knife ~ Um.....this knife is beautiful.  The picture doesn't do it justice.  The handle has a finger placement indention that helps provide extra control over the blade.  Knork flatware is the official flatware of Top Chef from Bravo.  The blade is made with a high carbon German stainless steel.  I can't wait to use this!


#EAT01
I have learned a lot about healthy eating from Melissa.  The #EAT01 box provides some great staples for those who are on the paleo diet.  Quarterly Co. has more information about this box if you are interested in learning more!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked the goodies in your Quarterly box -- thank you so much for subscribing!

    That bone broth is a new product and is just now rolling out to stores, I think. The company sent me a sample, and after I tried it, I knew it had to go into EAT01. The magicians at Quarterly were able to get it into the box. YAY!

    I hope the ghee works for you because it's really delicious. Happy cooking & eating to you!

    ReplyDelete